Intakes in New Zealand
New Zealand is one of the most exciting places to plan foreign education. More than thousands of students move to New Zealand for their higher education. This is because it offers top-notch education, exposure to a vibrant culture and a great standard of living. New Zealand also provides students with a chance to meet industry experts and build successful careers in their respective fields. It hosts some of the top business schools, management colleges and engineering universities.
No matter how exciting it sounds to be a part of such an amazing country, the way to New Zealand isn’t that easy. A lot goes into the whole Visa and intake process of universities. Thus careful planning and extensive support are needed to achieve the target.
If you are planning to move to New Zealand for your higher education then you should know the intake process of New Zealand universities.
Before applying to any university in New Zealand you should know about the admission cycle that is followed there. New Zealand follows two intakes for admission at universities namely: January intake and July intake.
The January intake starts at the beginning of the year and is also termed as January semester. The application process starts three months prior. If you want to take admission in the January semester then you should apply in November or before that to the universities offering entry in the January cycle.
The July session starts in the mid of the year and is also termed the July semester. The application process starts in advance and should be submitted by May.
If you want to study in New Zealand then you can follow the below-mentioned timeline:
6 Steps to study in New Zealand for January Intake:
Step-1 Check the details: April to May
- This is the time when you are required to shortlist the universities and courses you want to take admission to. Make sure to choose the courses that go along with your previous academic qualification and your future plans. Go through the admission requirement, tuition fees, eligibility criteria and admission deadlines.
- You have to apply before the deadline. Every university has a different deadline so make sure to check that as well.
Step-2 Appear for the exam: June to August
- Many universities conduct entrance examinations to take admission to particular courses. It might involve an entrance test for the subject and an English language test to check proficiency. However many universities accept the scores of the general competitive examination such as the GMAT and GRE. You will also need to appear for TOEFL, IELTS and PTE to prove proficiency in the English language. Different universities accept different scores thus you are required to score minimum marks to fulfill the eligibility criteria.
- The examination preparation and booking for the examination will consume a lot of time so make sure you plan ahead. It might also be possible for you to reappear for the tests. So keep the buffer time in hand.
Step-3 Start applying to the universities: August to September
- Once you are done with the examination and have shortlisted the university now it’s time to apply to a different university. You will be required to submit a few documents which include your academic certificates, letter of recommendation, and statement of purpose.
- SOP should be self-written and LOR should be written by your supervisor or professor of the college you last attended. The purpose of these letters is to ensure that you are the right fit for the university. Once all the documents are ready apply before the deadline.
Step-4 Acceptance letter and Interview: October to November
- If everything goes right, you will receive an email from the university asking you whether you want to proceed further or not. If you are willing to take admission to that university then you have to send your confirmation via email.
- It might be possible that you are called for video interviews. If you wish to take admission to that university in that particular course then make sure to reply as soon as possible. Do not wait till the deadline. You also might be required to pay a non-refundable confirmation fee to secure your seat.
Step-5 Apply for Student Visa and Education loan: November to December
- Once your application is accepted by the university, you will receive an acceptance letter from that university. As soon as you receive the letter, start the Visa application process for New Zealand. Remember that the Visa application process takes time so start at least three months before your departure. To get to the process right you can take help from the New Zealand Visa Consultants.
- During the Visa process, you will be required to submit documents such as an acceptance letter from the university, a passport, proof of monetary funds and many more. If you are going to apply for an education loan then make sure to do it in advance because the loan process also takes time.
Step-6 Tickets and Departure: December to January
- Once your Visa is approved, book your tickets for New Zealand. If the courses start in February it is recommended to go there a month before to get acclimated to the environment and find accommodation.
- Collect all the documents that you will need in the foreign land along with your passport. Make a list of things that you will be taking along with you including important documents and international debit or credit cards.
List of universities that accept January intakes:
Here is the list of universities that accept admission to different courses in the July intake.
- Massey University
- Lincoln University
- Auckland University of Technology
- University of Waikato
- University of Canterbury
- University of Auckland
- University of Otago
6 Steps to study in New Zealand for July Intake:
Step-1 Start the process: September to October
- If you want to take admission in the July intake cycle then start with the shortlisting process of courses and universities from September to October. Choose a course and make a list of universities you are willing to take admission in.
- Go through the website of each university to find out the admission procedure, eligibility criteria, tuition fees, scholarships offered and courses offered. Note them down along with the deadline mentioned for each university till which they accept the application. Every university has a different deadline.
Step-2 Appear for the exam: December to February
- As per university norms, you will be required to appear in the competitive entrance test to prove your efficiency and knowledge. Different universities conduct different entrance tests as per the courses. GRE and GMAT scores are also accepted by a few universities so make sure to check their website. Apart from academic tests, you will also be required to prove your proficiency in the English language by appearing in exams such as TOEFL and IELTS.
- Remember that you will need time to book and prepare for the test. So make sure to plan these things in advance.
Step-3 Start applying to the universities: February to March
- In these months you should start applying to the universities you have shortlisted. Universities ask for certain documents such as academic certificates, LOR and SOP. A letter of recommendation should be written and signed by the professor of the university you last attended and a Statement of purpose should be solely written by you.
- These documents are asked to ensure your fit for the university. Gather all these documents and submit them along with the application form before the deadline.
Step-4 Acceptance letter and Interview: March to April
- You will receive a confirmation email from the university if your application is accepted. You will have to reply to the mail with your confirmation if you are willing to take admission there. Some universities also conduct video interviews to judge candidates.
- To secure your seat you will have to reply to the mail along with the non-refundable confirmation fees. Make sure to complete this process quickly rather than waiting for the deadline.
Step-5 Apply for Student Visa and Education loan: April to July
- Start the Visa application process for New Zealand as soon as you receive the acceptance letter from the university. The Visa application process takes a lot of time to be completed so you try to do it in advance. Also, be careful while filing for the Visa as any mistake can lead to rejection. Start the Visa process three months before your date of departure.
- Keep all the documents ready along with the monetary fund proof and passport. If you are going to take the education loan for your foreign education then apply for it beforehand as it also takes time to get approved. You can take help from the New Zealand Visa consultants to speed up the process.
Step-6 Tickets and Departure: June to July
- After you revive your Visa, now start looking for the flight tickets for the date you want to go. It’s advisable to reach New Zealand one month before the course starting date to familiarize yourself with the environment of the country. You will need to find accommodation also so all this will take time. You can opt for both on-campus or off-campus accommodation as per your preference.
- Collect all the necessary documents and essential things that you will be taking along with you. Keep all your documents in a safe place and your passport handy for checking at the airport. If possible, arrange an international debit or credit card for easy transactions.
List of universities that accept July intakes:
If you want to study in New Zealand then here is the list of universities that accept admission to different courses in the July intake:
- Eastern Institute of Technology (EIT)
- University of Otago
- University of Auckland
- Unitec Institute of Technology
- Lincoln University
- Auckland University of Technology
Apart from the basic July and January intake, universities in New Zealand accept applications in March, April and May for different graduate, postgraduate and diploma courses. However, it depends on the availability of seats in a particular university and course. But you can take admission to vocational courses which are for a short term in these three intake cycles.
New Zealand is the most vibrant yet peaceful and safest country for students. You can enjoy the best life and avail of the top-quality education in New Zealand. However, be aware of the admission processes so that you can live your dream of studying abroad.
Why Choose NCC Global?
If you are planning to take admission to the Universities in New Zealand then you will require a lot of other things to get done other than admission. It can be overwhelming to do all the things on your own. Thus to smoothen the process of your foreign education, NCC Global offers a range of services.
NCC global is one of the best study abroad consultants in Chandigarh. It will guide you at every step from the admission procedure to the Visa application.
Here is the list of services we offer to the students:
- We will help you choose the right university based on your profile.
- You will get guidance from our study abroad consultants in Chandigarh.
- Our experts will provide you with every information you need to take admission to the University you want from fee structure to job placement.
- You get to prepare for the exams like PTE, TOEFL, GMAT, IELTS and CELPIP from the best study material provided by us.
- Once you are a part of our firm we will update you with every new rule and regulation related to admission and Visa documentation.
- Our mentors will assist you in the documentation process of the Visa application and help you in preparing for your Visa interview as well.
There are many more services you can avail of at NCC global. We are a one-stop solution for all your foreign education needs. Our consultants are trained and have years of experience in this domain. So if you are looking for guidance, then visit us for study abroad services.